Frederik De Bleser's Resume
LinkedIn – GitHub
Born November 15, 1978 in Belgium
Married, father of two
– Researcher in interactive media at EMRG
Story Table C/C++, OpenGL, iOS / macOS / Windows
- Created cross-platform educational game for hospitalized children.
- Aided in development of Kinect-based interactive wall installation.
- Designed and implemented online data visualisation platform; created data import, aggregation and filtering, visualization and animation tools.
- Managed development team of 2-5; created real-time API design review board in Firebase.
- Taught over 20 data visualization workshops with the tool to graphic design students and professionals.
Frequensea C/C++, Lua, OpenGL
- Developed a real-time environment for visualizing the electromagnetic spectrum.
- Optimized performance for large data streams (20MB / sec).
- Tested and deployed on macOS, Linux and Raspberry Pi.
- Integrated virtual reality support for the Oculus Rift.
- Developed an online typesetting system that outputs print-ready PDFs; used for my PhD thesis.
- Implemented a custom layout engine with support for text metrics, kerning, widows / orphans and style interpolation.
- Optimized performance to support real-time generation (< 1 second for 18MB PDFs).
— Freelance UX Designer / Developer, Burocrazy
Commsquare Python / Django, D3, Backbone.js
- Designed and implemented front-end with custom visualizations in D3 for GSM measurement data.
- Implemented backend in Django; taught Python and Django to 5-7 team members.
Buro Aktief Python / Flask, D3, MongoDB
- Developed internal application with custom visualizations in D3 to track engagement level of clients.
- Deployed first working version into production in three days.
- Focused on rapid development and low-cost deployment using Heroku.
Takeout Video Store Ruby on Rails
- Designed and implemented a single-page web application for the biggest video rental store in Antwerp.
- Integrated with IMDB using custom scraping tools.
- Performed hardware setup, training and support.
- PhD in Design and Applied Arts (2012-2016)
- Master of Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Summa Cum Laude (2000-2004)
- Bachelor's Degree, Computer Science (1997-2000)
- Compagnie Barbarie (2015). Responsive website for theater company. HTML5 / CSS
- SelfieBot (2014). Robot installation converting webcam image to drawing. Arduino
- Chico Latino (2012). Website for Belgian/Peruvian NGO. HTML 5 / CSS, WordPress
- City in a Bottle (2007-2009). Procedural game with auto-generated landscapes and creatures. Python / OpenGL
- Fortis Tree Visualisation (2007). Real-time visualisation for financial institution. Python / OpenGL
- Created and taught web design course at Sint Lucas Antwerpen.
- Frequent conference speaker (ATypI, OpenVisConf, Integrated, UQAM)
- Exhibited new media artist
- Machine Learning Course, Stanford University (December 2016)
- HAM Radio Certification (
Dutch (expert, mother tongue), English (proficient speaker / writer), French (competent), German (novice), Spanish (novice)
Programming Languages and Technologies
- MySQL, MongoDB, Redis
- Linux system administration, Ansible, AWS, Heroku