Curriculum Vitae of Frederik De Bleser
Frederik De Bleser
+32 498 120 060
Civil state: legal cohabitant, one daughter and one son.
- PhD in the Arts (2016)
- Master in Graphic Design, summa cum laude (2000-2004)
- Bachelor in Applied Informatics (1997-2000)
- College diploma, Informatics-accountancy (Sint-Lodewijk, Antwerp)
- PhD Researcher at the Karel de Grote-Hogeschool, Sint Lucas Antwerp school of design, Belgium (2004-present)
- Machine Learning by Stanford University on Coursera. Certificate earned on December 28, 2016.
Buro Aktief - Administrative web backend for Free Clinic (volunteer work)
- Full-stack application with extremely fast time to production (3 days!).
- Custom export functionality.
- Low-cost deployment using Heroku.
Commsquare - Design and development consultancy for their core products.
- Teaching Python and Django.
- Design of initial prototypes.
- Helped with the development (using pair programming) of their products.
- Design and implementation of custom data visualisations using web standards.
City in a Bottle - Fully procedural game with auto-generated landscapes and creatures.
- Co-developed custom 2D / 3D engine in OpenGL.
- Design auto-generated landscapes using Perlin noise generation.
- Custom, streamed tile loading of infinite world.
- Performance profiling and optimisation.
Chico Latino website (volunteer work)
- Design of the website.
- Multi-lingual site development in Drupal.
- SEO optimisation.
Fortis tree visualisation - Custom “growing” visualisation
- Visualisation for big private banking conference under The Louvre (Paris).
- Custom tree containing pictures of all conference participants.
- Tight deadlines (because of the conference timing).
Takeout Web App - Full-stack video rental application for the biggest video store in Antwerp.
- Single-page web application using Ajax.
- Analysis and custom design.
- Strong testing of core business logic.
- Hardware setup, backup strategy, support.
**NodeBox ** - Open-source application for generative design.
- Application for creating 2D visuals using code.
- Frequently asked to give international NodeBox workshops (Helsinki, Vilnius, Turin).
- Active community.
ChampdAction website - Custom CMS with multi-language support.
- Website design.
- Custom CMS in Django with support for multiple languages.
- Newsletter design and setup.
- Continuing support.
- Fosdem, Brussel, 2012
- Libre Graphics Meeting, Brussel, 2010
- PyCon, Chicago, 2009
- Fosdem, Brussel, 2009
- EuroClojure, Berlin, 2013
- Blotter, Time Canvas, MuHKA, 2005
- Blotter, ELIA, Ghent, 2006
- Evolution, C.STEM, Turin, Italy 2007
- Travelling Letters, Lahti, Finland, 2010
- Travelling Letters, Vilnius, Lithuania, 2011
- Generator.x 3.0, Brussels, 2012
- Incubate, Tilburg, 2013
- Travelling Letters, Helsinki, Finland, 2013
- De Standaard, 2005
- Counterform in Motion, 2006
- ADD-magazine #2, 2006
- Add!ct-magazine #28, 2007
- ADD-magazine #6, 2007
- ATypI, Prague, 2004
- ATypI, Helsinki, 2005
- ELIA, Ghent, 2006
- DorkBot, Ghent, 2006
- Integrated2007, Antwerp, 2007
- C.STEM, Turin, 2007
- The Agile Mind, Brussels, 2008
- Integrated 2009, Antwerp, 2009
- Libre Graphics Meeting 2010, Brussels, 2010
- ISEA2010, Dortmund, 2010
- Integrated, Antwerpen, 2011
- Design Interational Week, UQAM, Montréal, 2013
- Integrated, Antwerpen, 2013
- Design Automation, Lahti, 2004, Finland
- Intelligence, Lahti, 2005, Finland
- Memetics, Lahti, 2007
- Semantics, Helsinki, 2008
- Generative Art, Lahti, 2009
- NodeBox, Lahti, 2010
- Patterns of data, Antwerp, 2010
- Patterns of data, Helsinki, 2011
- Data Visualization, Lahti, 2011
- Faces of data, Vilnius, 2011
- Visual Repesentation of Complex Phenomena, Turin, 2011
- Data Visualization Masterclass, Antwerp, 2012
- Data Visualization Workshop, The Hague, 2012
- Data Visualization Workshop, Vilnius, 2013
- Data Visualization Workshop, Montréal, 2013
- Data Visualization Workshop, Valence, 2013
- Academic project “Design Automation”. 1/9/2004-31/12/2006. Development of a programming language based design tool: NodeBox. EUR 160,000
- IWT-project “Gravital” (IWT/TETRA 60121, KdG departement Sint Lucas together with University of Antwerp, departement Computer linguistics, 2007-2009, EUR 267,612)
- IWT-project “NodeBox/DATA” (IWT/TETRA 100188, KdG departement Sint Lucas together with Universiteit of Antwerp departement Computer linguistics and departement Math and Informatics, 2011-2013, EUR 304,345)
- Phd Project “The impact of generative software on graphic design.” (KdG departement Sint Lucas together with the University of Antwerp departement Informatics, 2011-2015)
- Conduit (KdG departement Sint Lucas together with the University of Antwerp departement Computer linguistics and departement Math and Informatics, 2012-2014)
- Dutch: Expert, mother tongue
- English: Proficient, regular teacher of English language workshops
- French: Competent speaker, novice writer
- Spanish: Competent speaker, novice writer
- Java: Expert (10+ years)
- Python: Expert (8+ years)
- Clojure: Proficient (2 years)
- Scala: Competent (1 year)
- Ruby: Competent (2+ years)
- C / C++: Competent (3+ years)
- Functional programming (Clojure, Lisp)
- Data visualisation (NodeBox, D3, VVVV)
- Generative design (NodeBox, Processing)
- Concurrency, multi-core and GPU programming (OpenCL)
- I believe software is not an end to itself, but a solution to a problem. Therefore, programming doesn’t just require an understanding of the code, but also of the problem domain.
- I believe understanding the tools and abstractions you work with make you a more efficient programmer.
- I believe code is better if it collectively owned. Therefore, programmers work better if they work together through pair programming, code reviews and open discussions.
- I believe that being an expert programmer is not an end product, but a process that requires constant learning through practice, articles, books, conferences and personal interactions.
- Above all I believe programming is a creative craft, not just a job where you type code into an IDE.
- Volunteer for Kris Kras Akabe (1998-2008), scouting movement for children with mental and physical disabilities.
- Amateur runner and participant in the Antwerp 10 Miles.
- World traveller (South America, US, South-east Asia).
- Frequent bike traveller across Europe .
- Legally living together with my partner and father of two kids.